I hope you had a fabulous weekend! We sent home our Genre Challenges last week as an extra motivator for reading at home. Students will acquire stickers as they complete each genre and when they finish the entire chart I have a special prize for them. Please continue to monitor their reading at home with the daily reading log. It makes such a difference to their growth as readers!
Here is a glimpse of our upcoming week:
Writing- We will be talking about how we revise as writers and always go back and reread our writing.
Grammar- We will identify the rules for irregular plural nouns and know how to correctly change the words from singular to plural (ex. tooth-teeth, puppy-puppies, thief-thieves)
Math- We will finish up our place value unit and move into comparing numbers based on place value (greater than, less than, equal to) We are beginning math rotations and will be participating in different types of activities for skills practice (At your seat, hands on, word problem, math facts, Mobymax, teacher time)
Reading- We are continuing to look at asking questions and determining main idea and supporting details. We are beginning our reading rotations this week so we will practice doing different skills during the 2nd half of reading time.
Phonics- We are learning the CVCe pattern (consonant, vowel, consonant, "e"). Examples: case, rose, mistake, lake, etc.
Content- We are learning about Cherokee and Creek Native Americans this week and how they lived in and around our different rivers and regions we have been learning about.
This Thursday will be a very special "Pow Wow" Day were the students will be traveling through all the 2nd grade classrooms experiencing different cultural elements of the Creek and Cherokee people groups (art activities, dance, games, language, etc). Please keep it a surprise, I will announce it on Wednesday! It was a hit last year and we are very excited to be doing it again this year. I will post pictures on the Shutterfly page!
A few reminders.....
- Please be sure to send in your child's Performing Arts Permission Form and optional donation for the event. This is the ONLY WAY your child can participate in the 2nd grade annual trip to the Nutcracker at the Cobb Civic Center.
- Transportation Notes and Absence Notes PDF can be found on the right hand side of the blog.
- A copy of the PTA calendar will be sent home today that includes all school-wide events coming up.
- You can also click here to find more KSE information: www.myvlink.org/ksepta/
- Don't forget you can use amazing resources straight from home: cobb.mackinvia.com/
- Username: Student Number
- Password: read
- I will have an Amazon Wish list to send out shortly and will send that via email :)
Thank you for all you do for our wonderful students on the home front!